Know About Water Damage That Can Be Covered By Home Insurance

Posted by on Aug 30, 2016 in Uncategorized

When you are getting home insurance for the very first time, it can be confusing knowing what sort of policy you need to get. With so many different coverage options, you may have questions about the policy that you are selecting. Here is what you need to know when it comes to the different types of water damage. Will the Home Be Covered for All Types of Water Damage? A fear that many homeowners have concerns what happens if water gets inside their home. You may think that your home insurance will cover this, but you will be surprised to know that water damage is not covered in all situations. There are essentially three types of water damage that can happen to your home. Water damage can be caused by a pipe bursting in your home, the plumbing backing up into your home, or water entering your home from the outside. Pipe Bursts When you have a pipe that freezes and bursts, usually from cold winter temperatures, this should be covered under a typical home-insurance policy. This is an unforeseen problem that can happen to anybody, and you can file a claim to get the damage repaired. Sewage Backups Sewage backups are covered under an additional policy that you can purchase. This will protect you if any type of water gets into your home due to a backup in the sewer line. For example, you could have a cracked drain tile that causes all of your sewage to come back into your home, or you could have flooding that overwhelms the sewer system and causes the backup to happen that way. If water comes into your home through that sewer pipe, you’ll need additional coverage to pay for the damage the water causes. Flooding Any water that enters your dwelling not through the pipes is considered a flood. Keep in mind that a flood doesn’t necessarily have to be an overwhelming rush of water from a nearby lake or river, since a flood can be as small as rain water rising up from the street and entering your basement’s window wells. This type of damage will require flood insurance, which you may not be required to purchase. Your mortgage lender may only require it if you live in a designated FEMA flood zone; these zones are near lakes and rivers. If you are unsure if your home insurance covers a specific type of water damage, ask your agent, such as an agent from Northeast Underwriters, for more...

Read More »

How To Get Compensated After An Accident At Work: To Sue Or Seek Workers’ Compensation?

Posted by on Aug 1, 2016 in Uncategorized

Generally speaking, when you get hurt at work, the last thing you want to worry about is how much the treatment is going to cost or if you’re going to have to fight with your boss about filing a workers’ compensation claim. You assume your workplace is covered, and you just want to get better so you can get back to work.  Sometimes, workplaces aren’t covered, though, or workers aren’t covered under workers’ compensation laws. So, should you sue or go through workers’ compensation? Here are a few tips that can help you decide.  Are You An Employee? If you’re not an employee, forget seeking workers’ compensation. Freelance workers are not employees, so they’re not going to be covered by state workers’ compensation coverage. You may be covered by the workplace’s private insurance, but if not, then you will need to seek a claim through other methods. Usually, that will mean seeking a claim for negligence against the employer through a civil lawsuit. Unlike workers’ compensation claims, this claim directly states that the injury you suffered was a result of a negligent act or a hazard in the workplace that should have been preventable.  Is Your Employer Covered By Workers’ Compensation? If your employer has workers’ compensation insurance, then you should be able to seek a claim directly any time you’re hurt on the job. If you are a driver, that means any time you’re behind the wheel of the truck performing your duties. If you’re working in a facility, any time you are at your place of employment, you’re covered. If your employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation or private insurance, then there’s a big issue. Workers’ compensation or private insurance coverage is required in all 50 states by law. If your employer does not carry insurance, then you can sue him for compensation if you get injured, and he may be fined by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration.  Was a Third Party Responsible? If a third party was responsible for your injuries, you may not be able to seek workers’ compensation or may have a harder time getting your employer to cover your injuries. Even if you do get workers’ compensation coverage, the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation may not provide you all you’re entitled to. You may also be able to sue the negligent third party that caused your injuries, whether it was the designer of defective equipment or a dangerous temporary employee.  These are a few situations that could occur; if you’re unsure of what you’re entitled to, any workers’ compensation attorney can help.  If you’re an employer looking for excellent coverage for your employees, contact Divers-Savage-Mcpherson Insurance...

Read More »