Know About Water Damage That Can Be Covered By Home Insurance

Posted by on Aug 30, 2016 in Uncategorized

When you are getting home insurance for the very first time, it can be confusing knowing what sort of policy you need to get. With so many different coverage options, you may have questions about the policy that you are selecting. Here is what you need to know when it comes to the different types of water damage.

Will the Home Be Covered for All Types of Water Damage?

A fear that many homeowners have concerns what happens if water gets inside their home. You may think that your home insurance will cover this, but you will be surprised to know that water damage is not covered in all situations. There are essentially three types of water damage that can happen to your home. Water damage can be caused by a pipe bursting in your home, the plumbing backing up into your home, or water entering your home from the outside.

Pipe Bursts

When you have a pipe that freezes and bursts, usually from cold winter temperatures, this should be covered under a typical home-insurance policy. This is an unforeseen problem that can happen to anybody, and you can file a claim to get the damage repaired.

Sewage Backups

Sewage backups are covered under an additional policy that you can purchase. This will protect you if any type of water gets into your home due to a backup in the sewer line. For example, you could have a cracked drain tile that causes all of your sewage to come back into your home, or you could have flooding that overwhelms the sewer system and causes the backup to happen that way. If water comes into your home through that sewer pipe, you’ll need additional coverage to pay for the damage the water causes.


Any water that enters your dwelling not through the pipes is considered a flood. Keep in mind that a flood doesn’t necessarily have to be an overwhelming rush of water from a nearby lake or river, since a flood can be as small as rain water rising up from the street and entering your basement’s window wells.

This type of damage will require flood insurance, which you may not be required to purchase. Your mortgage lender may only require it if you live in a designated FEMA flood zone; these zones are near lakes and rivers.

If you are unsure if your home insurance covers a specific type of water damage, ask your agent, such as an agent from Northeast Underwriters, for more information.